The Chicamocha national Park (also known as PANACHI), of recent creation, is one of the few natural parks of Colombia dedicated to ecotourism, being one of the most important tourist sites of the country. Was open to the public the Saturday 2 of December of 2006.
Park is located in the route to Bucaramanga – San Gil, 54 km from the capital of Santander Department and 39 km from San Gil, being jurisdiction of Aratoca municipality, has been constructed on the Chicamocha canyon, taking advantage of its natural and historical wealth. Its extension is 264 hectares.
The Park comprises an urban ensemble consisting of different elements and places, seeking to promote the values of the land, landscape and Santanderean culture. These elements include: an administrative, cultural and tourism headquarters, parking lot, cable-car station, road ring, santanderean village, acoustic shell, theatre, santanderean monument, natural viewpoit, walking trails, roads, places of contemplation and rest. It is provided with the square of the flags where it shows the patriotic pride for Colombia, Santander and Aratoca.
- Cable Car: The Cable Car of the Chicamocha is one of the most visited attractions in the park. Crosses the Chicamocha canyon departing from the park in Aratoca up to the Mesa de los Santos.
- Tirolin is one of the greatest attractions in the park. There are three cable cars in total. The first and oldest is located in the back of the Park and allows to admire the entire canyon and the Chicamocha river, has 450 m; the second is the cable car lookout, is shorter but with more vertigo and emotion and the last is the children´s cable car.
- Skating Rink: Is an ecological ice rink imported from Europe. Allows visitors to practice skating while enjoying the breathtaking scenery of the canyon.
- Track for buggies: is a track for off-road small vehicles or twin-seaters known as buggies. The track has 1 Km full of ups and downs and difficult terrain that gives visitors a fun and incomparable adrenaline.
- Jumping: device in which the person remains suspended with a harness and ropes to be subsequently launched upwards. Reaches the 7 meters of height. Adults and children can enjoy it.
- Park of the ostriches: These original exotic birds of Africa can be appreciated, as well as its eggs and babies.
- Park of the goats: The particular species of goats that can be found in the area of the Chicamocha Cannon, is represented in those who are assembled in the Park of the Goats, which strategically are organized in its corrals, so that every visitor could appreciate them or feed them with bottle or carrots: children or adults, can have an approach with the nature and the species of the region.
- Santanderean Monument: Is one of the most representative attractions of the park. The monument is built in the form of tobacco leaf, as a symbol of the commoners fight. On it recreates artistically the commoners revolution in 36 sculptures created by the maestro Luis Guillermo Vallejo.
- Mirador de 360°: Is located in the highest part of the park, in it you can appreciate the canyon majesty from all angles with an unparalleling view.
- Santanderean Little village: with the architecture of the santanderean villages gives a regionalist touch and consistent with the conditions of the park.